|Press:||University of Toronto Press, Inc.|
|Title:||Acquisitions Editor, Social Sciences|
The Acquisitions Editor is responsible for overseeing the development and growth of the Press's publishing program in the assigned disciplines within the Social Sciences (e.g. anthropology, sociology, education and health) by acquiring approximately 30 scholarly books per year. The AE:
• develops and expands a network of academic advisors and writers;
• actively solicits or commissions and evaluates projects in assigned subject areas to meet fiscal goals of division ensuring books support and build on the reputation of the publishing program;
• prepares and presents publication proposals to publishing committee and Manuscript Review Committee;
• proposes contract terms to management and negotiates contracts with authors, agents, and co-publishers for books acquired;
• works with authors to develop manuscripts ensuring that they meet contractual terms regarding the timing of submission and the form of the materials to be submitted for production;
• prepares each project for turnover to editorial, design, production, and marketing;
• consults with the creation of marketing activities and promotional materials;
• monitors overall sales performance of the assigned list on an ongoing basis;
• explores new technologies and mediums of publication for books in the social sciences;
• represents the Press at scholarly meetings and on campus visits.
Education: Post-graduate degree(s) preferred as is a background in social sciences.
Experience: Minimum 5-years experience in publishing or equivalent experience. A successful track record in acquisitions and sales is an asset in this position as is an understanding of publishing finances and the changing nature of scholarly publishing.
Skills: Facility with Microsoft Suite of products (Word, Excel, Outlook, Access & PowerPoint), expertise in online research, familiarity with social networking and electronic publishing.
Other: Excellent verbal and written communication skills, possesses tact and diplomacy under pressure, ability to set goals and prioritize responsibilities, superior organizational skills and is an effective negotiator and influencer.
Return to list of all jobs
Questions or comments about our web site?
Please contact email@example.com